Children’s ministry is vital to The Vine Community Church. Most young families who visit The Vine are looking at the quality of 2 things: our worship service and our children’s ministry. And, I believe that all of us can work together to help our children’s ministry be all that it needs to be for God’s glory and the good of our kids and families at The Vine.
In case you haven’t noticed, we are growing like crazy and our children’s ministry is currently like holding onto a kite in the middle of a hurricane! We have so many kids (praise God!), and we want to serve our kids and families well! We just need more help. But, I believe that asking for more help is not going to motivate you to serve in children’s ministry. I believe that people respond to vision. So, I want to lay out the vision behind the children’s ministry here to get you fired up about a vital ministry where you can grow as a Christian, grow in community, grow in your ability to share the gospel and dive into the mission field called children’s ministry!
To lay a little ground work right off the bat, let me first tell you what children’s ministry is NOT:
- It’s not a spiritual drop-off service. children’s ministry is not the primary means of discipling kids. That is the parents’ job and children’s ministry does not take the place of parents. Children’s ministry is a secondary developer. We work alongside parents, partnering with you in this great task.
- It’s not just babysitting/childcare. We do want to take care of people’s kids, but our primary goal is to make disciples.
- Children’s ministry does not exist to simply teach values/good morals. We don’t want to raise Moralistic Therapeutic Deists (see Soul Searching by Christian Smith). We know that apart from Christ good, moral people still go to hell. Instead, we seek to have a gospel-centered children’s ministry, teaching kids that faith alone in Christ alone saves and transforms our lives.
Now, our vision for Children’s Ministry. The vision is simply the same vision of The Vine: 4 God. 4 People. 4 The world. So, let me break it down for you.
Children’s ministry exists 4 God
We want to be for God more than we are for anything or anyone else! We want our lives to worship Jesus and we want to teach and model that for the kids at The Vine. We want God’s word to govern everything we do in children’s ministry. We want to make God known to the next generation.
Judges 2:10 And all that generation also were gathered to their fathers. And there arose another generation after them who did not know the LORD or the work that he had done for Israel.
 Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised,
and his greatness is unsearchable.
 One generation shall commend your works to another,
and shall declare your mighty acts.
 On the glorious splendor of your majesty,
and on your wondrous works, I will meditate.
 They shall speak of the might of your awesome deeds,
and I will declare your greatness.
 They shall pour forth the fame of your abundant goodness
and shall sing aloud of your righteousness.
 The LORD is gracious and merciful,
slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.
 The LORD is good to all,
and his mercy is over all that he has made.
 All your works shall give thanks to you, O LORD,
and all your saints shall bless you!
 They shall speak of the glory of your kingdom
and tell of your power,
 to make known to the children of man your mighty deeds,
and the glorious splendor of your kingdom.
 Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom,
and your dominion endures throughout all generations.
[The LORD is faithful in all his words
and kind in all his works.]
Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD,
the fruit of the womb a reward.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior
are the children of one’s youth.
Blessed is the man
who fills his quiver with them!
He shall not be put to shame
when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.
If you are involved in Children’s ministry, you get to love children that God has made in His image. You get to teach them that they were created to know Jesus and worship Him and love Him and live for Him. What could be more satisfying than having the opportunity to teach kids what is eternally important and encouraging parents to do the same?!!!
Children’s ministry exists 4 People
We are 4 Children, 4 families, 4 Parents.
God has ordained that parents be the primary disciplers of their children.
Deuteronomy 6:4-7 4“Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one.* 5 You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. 6 And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.
Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go;
even when he is old he will not depart from it.
We want to help parents do this!
Another way that we are 4 people is that we are building community within our church body:
- The best way to get to know families in the church is to get involved in children’s ministry. As you receive kids on a Sunday, you get to meet not only the kids, but also their parents! And, in my experience, if you love my kids… you love me. That’s how most parents see it. If you care about my kids, you are on my team and I love you for it. If you want to get plugged in at The Vine, get involved in children’s ministry and have fun meeting parents and loving on their kids.
- As parents are dropping off their kids on Sunday mornings, our job as volunteers is to be better than a Wal-Mart greeter. We want to be joyful, introduce ourselves, try and learn parents’ names and let them know how excited we are to have their kids. We do this knowing that this is how we will be growing in community with other families at The Vine.
- As you serve in children’s ministry, you also get to know other volunteers. You’ll get to know those you serve alongside very well by teaching, playing, changing diapers, being silly and having a blast with kids together – you’ll get to know one another fast!
Children’s ministry exists 4 The World
We get to teach our children that the gospel of Jesus Christ must be preached to all nations. We get to teach them the importance of missions – local and international. We get to teach them that they don’t just get to know Jesus but they get to share Him with others!
So, we want to embrace this vision – 4 God, 4 people, 4 the world – not only in our church and not only in our lives, but also in the children’s ministry as we teach the next generation about Jesus.
How you can get involved:
- Ask a volunteer on a Sunday morning for the card to fill out to let us know you want to get involved or simply talk to our Children’s Director, Jessie Smith (email@example.com) or our Family Pastor, Tyler Hicks (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- We will need you to fill out a background check before you can get involved.
- Know that we won’t just throw you in the deep end. You can come in and get your feet wet first, serving alongside an experienced volunteer.
- We are looking for more help on Sunday mornings, Sunday nights and Wednesday nights.
I pray that God continues to grow our church and bring more and more families to serve. And, I pray that God gives those of you reading this a hunger and a joyful burden to serve our families by serving their children in our church.
Glad I get to serve you!